School transportation system is a design provided to move students to and from schools and to school events. Popularly, parent or caregivers can organize means of transporting their wards in the safest way possible and schools also have organized means of transporting students collectively using buses or taxis. In any case, school transport can be undertaken by students as well through the means of a personal motorbike, bicycle or car. The basic intention of school transportation system is to enhance the safe and easy movement of students to and from their location of learning. Here the concentration is on the transportation arrangement made by the school management.
BENEFITS OF SCHOOL ARRANGED TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM
1. Time Management: Schools buses have a time they expect you to be ready and once you miss the time; there is no other option than for you to find your way. In this light, both the parent and students alike are compelled to prepare towards that time in order to avoid an alteration in their day’s plan which could arise from the need to get the child to school through other means.
2. Comparative safety: Compared to other means of getting your child to school, school arranged transportation is safer. There is a reduced risk of accidents because the driver is conscious of stopping at different bus-stops either to pick or drop a child and the driver is responsible to the institution as regards his driving. More so, students with bikes and bicycles run a risk of being hit or injured.
3. Cost-effectiveness: Paying a token for the transportation of your ward to school saves you some money that will be used to consistently fuel your car or spent on public transport. Also, your commitment to the schools’ transportation system creates a means of sustenance for someone else, the drivers.
4. Socialization: Organized transportation systems are good means of helping the child socialize with other children. Children are taught sub-consciously how to tolerate and accommodate other children and how to be their neighbours’ keepers. This cannot be achieved through their family cars or personal means of transportation.
SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR PARENTS
1. Make sure that your ward(s) gets all that they need for the day’s business-ready about ten minutes before the arrival of the bus.
2. If your ward must wait at a bus-stop or junction for the school bus, then ensure that an elderly person is with him/her.
3. Ensure you ward eats a balanced diet to keep his immune system active, the children in the commute could be exposed to various air-borne and skin-borne diseases. A good diet will surely keep your ward safe health wisely.
SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR CHILDREN ON COMMUTE
1. The commute is a not an extension of the playground, therefore, children must be cautious with the way they relate to the commute.
2. It is absolutely unsafe to stretch out any part of your body through the windows of the vehicle; be it arm or head or even leg.
3. Report every form of bully against you or others to the staff on duty or the appropriate quarters.
4. Be polite. Show appreciation for the every kind gesture you receive and apologize for every inconvenience you cause others.
5. Keep the school commute tidy always. Make use of the waste bin for your refuse and avoid spilling over of mess into the commute. Remember that, you have a role to play in keeping the commute continually safe and convenient for you and others.